This Sh*t Is Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
I am totally humming to Gwen Stefani’s Hollaback Girl (a song from the album Love. Angel. Music. Baby. that I actually love) right now, but that is not really the point of my post today. I was browsing on Recyclebank and stumbled on a very interesting article about bananas. I love love love bananas- and for someone like me who has consistent GERD issues, it really is helpful. I see a great difference as to when I have acid reflux and have bananas after meals. Makes everyday living with acid reflux a whole lot easier, and healthier.
What I didn’t know is that beyond its power to provide us potassium and prevent bloating, bananas really have a whole lot more other uses.
Here is a list of interesting ways you can reuse bananas:
1. If you get bitten by mosquitoes or red fire ants, rub the inside of a banana peel on the bite to prevent it from itching and getting inflamed.
2. For the gardeners out there, banana is also good to use as fertilizer. You can put the peel directly into your composter, or by cutting them into little pieces and mixing them in the soil. We all know that bananas are rich in potassium and as well as phosphorous.
3. Did you know that you can also use the peel to rub on your leather shoes to make them shinier? Good news is, they also work well on non-leather shoes. Well, no rubber shoes of course.
4. If you have warts, the potassium in banana peels can cure it in less than 2 weeks. Head HERE for a more detailed instruction on how to do it.
5. Now for a beauty tip: to whiten teeth, gargle with warm water and salt, then rub a mixture of banana peel onto your teeth. Do this for two weeks and you notice your teeth gets significantly whiter. I have to try this.
6. Another beauty tip: Use banana as hair conditioner. Care2 has the recipe. Warning for the clean-freaks: it can get messy and ewwwy applying the mixture to your head. This is getting more and more exciting.
Banana, you rock!